I can’t promise you a rose garden, riches, fame or even a great episode of Saturday Night Live every time Alec Baldwin hosts but I can guarantee satisfaction with a recipe. My Spicy Pork Meatball Sandwiches and unbelievable and by giving you the recipe, I am trusting you to wield their delicious taste for the power of good only. These little bad boys are pure tasty delight and I guarantee absolute satisfaction.
SPICY PORK MEATBALL SANDWICHES
1 Pound Sweet Italian Sausage (in NYC, I suggest Esposito and Sons)
1 Pound Hot Italian Sausage (in NYC, I suggest Esposito and Sons)
Fresh Mozzarella Cheese (in NYC, I suggest Sergimmo Salumeria)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Tablespoon Salt
4 Jarred Hot Cherry Peppers, Minced
1/4 cup Hot Cherry Pepper Pickling Liquid
4 slices white bread, minced
1 Tablespoon Garlic
1 Tablesppon Basil
3 Large Eggs
Martin’s Mini-Burger or Hot Dog Potato Rolls
*Makes about 2 dozen Meatballs
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle olive oil into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set Aside
2.Using a knife, slice open the casing on each sausage and remove it. Once you have cased the Sausage, place the Meat into a large bowl.
3. Combine the ground pork, salt, cherry peppers, pickling liquid, bread & eggs in a large mixing bowl. Mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
4. Roll the mixture into round, golf-ball sized meatballs (about 1 1/2 inches) making sure to pack the meat firmly. Place the balls into the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.
5. Roast for 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. A meat thermometer inserted into the center should read 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Allow the meatballs to cool for 5 minutes once you remove from the oven.
7. Slice Fresh Mozzarella into 1.5″ squares.
8. Finish Meatballs by cooking on grill for 8-10 minutes, turning every 2 minutes.
8. Serve on a Mini-Burger Potato Roll or half of one Hot Dog Roll. Top with a slice of Fresh Mozzarella and your favorite Red Sauce. I’d give you my family recipe, but it’s a secret. If you really want to make a hit with these, make your sauce fresh and don’t use from the jar.
9. Relish in the delight of your friends saying “ooooohh,” “ahhhh” & “wow” as they put your balls into their mouth.